"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meets." -Fredrick Beuchner

Thursday, April 7, 2011

Soup to nuts?

We were sitting in our Intro to Christian Theology class at New Staff Training. I have to admit I wasn't paying super close attention to the lecture. It was a nice day and I was staring out the window at the beach, wondering how much more time in between now and when I could be out on the beach playing volleyball. Then our professor said it, "It's the soup to nuts..." I don't remember what he was talking about or what it was a reference to, but I clearly remember the phrase. I looked around at my friends and saw their faces were just as confused as mine; clearly none of us knew what that phrase meant. My friend busted out her iPhone and looked it up, and here's what we found out, thanks to Wikipedia:
"'Soup to nuts' is an American English idiom conveying the meaning of "from beginning to end". It is derived from the description of a full course dinner, in which courses progress from soup to a dessert of nuts. It is comparable to expressions in other languages, such as the Latin phrase ab ovo usque ad mala ("from the egg to the apples"), describing the typical Roman meal."
The phrase kind of stuck with us, and we used it as often as possible for the rest of our time at training. It wasn't often, because the proper use of this phrase doesn't come up in daily conversation too often, but that just made it all the better when someone actually got to use it.

So here it is: the soup to nuts, the beginning to end, the life and times of a full-time Campus Crusade staff member. Some things will be serious and thought-provoking, some things will be random and silly. Some will be about me, some will be about my friends, some will be about ministry, some will just be about life in general. So... here we go!

1 comment:

  1. haha! ohhhhh it's all making sense now! : D that's a funny phrase!

    ReplyDelete