"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meets." -Fredrick Beuchner

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Once a sociologist, always a sociologist

I'm a sociologist at heart. I always have been and I always will be. I love learning about different cultures and different people and seeing patterns in the way that different people groups behave. I love understanding relationships and how they work and why they work and why they don't. It fascinates me. It's intangible and big picture, yet at the same time it's tangible and small picture. I love it.

My newest sociology undertaking has been discovering just how different California culture is from Southern culture. The main reason for my new found fascination is because some of my very dear friends from New Staff Training are from the South (North Carolina, Tennessee, and Georgia to be exact). Between getting to know them, learning more about their upbringing and hearing their stories from their ministry partner development time, I've begun to realize just how radically different California is. From the food, to the things people value, to the influence of the church... it's all different. I recently spent some time down there visiting my friends and attending a conference, and I gotta say, there were times where I felt like I had left the country. And I loved every minute of it.

Here are some of the major differences that I've observed so far:
- the Southern definition of traffic and the California definition of traffic are two very different things
- Fried food is everywhere in the South. It's hard to get away from it.
- One of the most valuable things to Californians is time.
- Southern hospitality still lives up to its name, as does the Bible Belt.
- Californians aren't afraid to be rude. I might even go so far as to call it our norm.
- The influence of families is different. (I'm still thinking through this one. I'm aware that it's different, but I'm still discovering exactly how)

By no means is this list exhaustive and please hear me when I say I'm not claiming to be an expert. I just love noticing the differences between cultures, and try as I might, I can't turn off my fascination with discovering these things. And to think I went into college as a biology major :)

1 comment:

  1. Sociology! Yay! :)

    Btw, we need to chat soon. Would love to hear how you're doing. :)

    ReplyDelete