"The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meets." -Fredrick Beuchner

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

1 dress, 6 months

CNN.com is my homepage. I know it's a more liberal news source, so judge me all you want, but for the most part I enjoy the pieces that they choose to publish. One caught my eye the other day, entitled "One dress, Six months". It was about a woman in Ohio who found out that there was human trafficking in her area, not exactly something you expect to hear about small town America. As a way to raise awareness for what was going on, and for her to realize the amount of freedom that she really has, she decided to wear the same dress everyday for 6 months. Other people caught on to what she was doing, and people in her church and even a group of women from the local university (University of Toledo) joined her in what she was doing. They were showing pictures of the students that joined her, and I started flipping out because sure enough, I was looking at a picture of my friend Rachel! I replayed the video to make sure that it was her, and turns out my eyes weren't playing tricks on me, it was definitely her. I ended up talking to her a few days later and she confirmed that it was, in fact, her.

Rachel was one of the girls that I discipled when I was on summer project in Ocean City, NJ. She is one of those women that, within a few minutes of meeting her, it's clear that she loves Jesus and is living her life for Him. And wearing the same dress for 6 months was just one way for her to do that. After reading the story and talking to Rachel about it, it got me thinking how this was a beautiful picture of 100% sent. Campus Crusade has a vision that every student, no matter where they go or what they do, would be 100% sent with the Gospel and be equipped to share it no matter where life takes them. So whether it's working at a law firm in California or helping orphans in Africa, we want our students to be equipped to share the love of Jesus with anyone that God puts in their path. And, for 6 months in the same dress, this was the way that Rachel chose to be sent, by raising awareness about human trafficking in small town Ohio. It was unique and different and creative, but something that God used to work in Rachel's own life, as well as to minister to the people around her. And who knew that it would eventually make its way to national news, that all the way across the country her friend in California would hear of her story.

Rachel and I in Ocean City

And here's a link to the story: http://thecnnfreedomproject.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/06/one-dress-raising-awareness-of-slavery/?hpt=hp_c2

No comments:

Post a Comment